Doctor Who 50th Anniversary!

Found on travelwithmethen.tumblr.com
OK, if you haven't figured it out yet, then let me tell you a little secret (which is not so little, because it's quite obvious)... I think that Doctor Who might as well be my very first proper fandom that I ever got into. Like, properly into. Like, sobbing in the corner and crying over it proper.

For this very special occasion, the 50th Anniversary of its release, I thought I might do a little blog post about how I came to be a part of this absolutely brilliant fandom that always sticks together, helps each other and is just bloody brilliant if I'm honest. We probably have the most talented artists on the planet, absolutely brilliant writers that make me sob to death if I'm honest and also brilliant cos-players and I don't think I ever regret becoming a part of it.

Found on weheartit.com under the tag "matt smith"
OK, emotional bit over!

So, I came a bit late into this fandom; I have started being interested in it about three years ago, when one of my classmates did an English assignment on Doctor Who (because after all, it's a national treasure of Britain... sorta). All of my fellow classmates were like: "Holy shit, what is this ball of wank?" but I was genuinely interested. I always had a vivid imagination and I could never find a place to fully fulfil it. I have been writing and stuff, but it was never in such a big range as Doctor Who was.
I started watching the newer series that were going on from 2005. I have been told that it doesn't make a difference if you watch the newer ones before the old ones, so I just started there, meaning the first episode I ever saw was Rose.
At first I was a bit shocked. I wasn't so hooked as I might have expected, but I loved the character of the 9th Doctor. I just loved the sass and the occasional sarcasm and that's what kept me going. I lasted in this way until about episode 6 which was called Dalek and that's when I was hooked! That episode is bloody brilliant! I got to know the character of Rose a bit better and also Nine was just amazing and I fell in love with it, pretty badly.
That was when I started watching more and more episodes at a time, and before you know it, I grew to love Captain Jack and Ten and Mickey and Sarah-Jane and then Donna and Eleven and... oh, you know who else.
You might notice that I didn't put Martha in. I didn't like her to be completely honest. I don't like her at all. I am aware of the fact that she's a complete bamf and all that, but I wasn't hooked, just because she was quite open to the fact that she loves the Doctor and that she wants to be with him and somehow I didn't like that (or maybe that's just the Doctor/Rose shipper talking out of me).

Found on weheartit.com under the tag "doctor who"
After a while, I heard of this brilliant TV-show that was a Doctor Who spin-off beside The Adventures Of Sarah Jane... Torchwood. I saw many gifs on Tumblr and I thought: "What the hell, it's about Captain Jack, it can't be that bad."... it wasn't bad at all. I fell in love with it.

I don't know if I can explain how big of an impact Doctor Who has on me. Besides the fact that it's one of the rare TV shows on this planet that I even bother to watch (besides Merlin, Downton Abbey and... some of those one season long TV shows like Dancing On The Edge and The White Queen), but it also has so many unbelievable and relatable characters, situations and other scenarios and the thing that I love about it is that every episode has some sort of moral. Although it's completely sci-fi, I don't think that any other show on the planet can make a completely made up situation teach you so much about people and emotions and just... ahh, I'm rambling, I am so sorry.
Let's not forget that I probably wouldn't get along with my new roommates as much, because we're all pretty much obsessed with Doctor Who and we had something to bond over when I was a little newbie in a very big city.

I know that there's a very tiny chance that anyone that has anything to do with Doctor Who will be reading this, but I still have to say something... Whoever came up with the idea of a madman travelling in a blue box that's bigger on the inside... I salute thee (and shut up, I'm using thee!)
Seriously, thank you for giving me a universe full of amazing people, actors and just amazing stories in general. Anyone who had anything to do with it... thank you on the behalf of the whole fandom... and thank you for the funny lines that made me die of laughter.

Found on weheartit.com under the tag "doctor who"
...and now it's time to pull out the tissues and hope to god I won't be lying on the floor, sobbing like a baby by the end of the day. Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this blog post or at the very least, I hope I got you into the mood to give Doctor Who a try... It might be a completely mental TV show with sometimes really weird episodes, but I promise you it's completely worth it.

I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

P.S.
Found on travelwithmethen.tumblr.com

2 comments:

  1. Eeek, I hope you enjoyed Day of The Doctor yesterday! :)
    emmerliejay x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @emmerliejay I sure as hell did, it was bloody amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena