Christmas blogging no.4: Films and TV-shows!

Ho, ho, ho, everybody!
This is the perfect time to forget slightly about your usual preferences when it comes to films (or movies) and I do go a teeny bit mental when it comes to watching them during Christmas. Me and my family just sit down together in front of the TV, turn on the DVD player, take out a bit of chocolate or Christmas biscuits and just hang out and enjoy ourselves.
So, without further ado, here are our Top 8: Christmas films and TV-Shows (and because me and my mum weren't bothered to think of more).

8. Downton Abbey Christmas Specials (2011-present)
I think that these episodes are also a bit happier than the other ones and it feeds my love for the 1920's quite a lot, because it kind of shows us how people used to spend Christmas days almost a hundred years back and I do enjoy these... although they're sometimes a bit melodramatic (cause it's an ITV drama, after all) but they bring a lot of joy to us... Most of the time... and by that I mean the times when someone doesn't violently die after everything looks fucking perfect... *cough* last year Christmas special *cough* WHAT?
Someone should just give BBC and ITV a hug and beg them to stop ruining Christmas for us.



7. Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge Of Reason (2004)
This is the sequel to the first version, which is somewhere up the list, don't know where yet... Basically, Bridget's relationship is falling apart, when her previous boss walks back into her life and again, it's a very light-hearted comedy, I laugh like a lunatic every time I see it, because it contains a lot of funny scenes and they're all just priceless...especially singing Madonna in a prison in Thailand. That'll probably the top of the film.
Granted it's not the most Christmassy film out there, but it's pretty epic, so you should give it a try.



6. Doctor Who Christmas Specials (2005-present)
I don't know how much Christmas spirit do these episodes bring to the table, giving the fact that almost every Christmas some sort of alien tries to take over this planet... and it's not a nice thought, is it? But still, these episodes have funny lines and they are a bit more light hearted than the usual episodes, but still... I do cry at the vast majority of them. But they're good. Like, really good. So, if you fancy a bit of alien invasions during Christmas, then this is the place for you.
Although, I doubt I'll be happy this year because the Doctor DIES (well, not really, regenerates, but OK).


5. The Vicar Of Dibley (1994-2007)
This is a TV-show that you just can't possibly hate; it's about a little town and their local vicar dies, so obviously they get a new one, but they don't expect it to be a slightly chubbier, food-loving and slightly pervy-minded middle aged woman played by the wonderful Dawn French and it's just bloody hilarious. As well as having some Easter specials and just episodes that you can watch any time you want, they've got bloody hilarious Christmas episodes and I rewatch them all during Christmas. The ones that I can genuinely recommend from the top of my head are The Christmas Lunch Incident, Winter, The Vicar In White, The Handsome Stranger, Merry Christmas... JUST WATCH THEM ALL, YOU WON'T REGRET IT.



4. Holiday (2006)
Basically, two single women find each other on a holiday website for exchanging their houses for a couple of weeks and they swap their homes. The lonely Brit Iris goes to Los Angeles to Amanda's house e vice versa where they meet a couple of people and basically start to love them really much. It's a lovely film, I remember seeing it in the theatre and just loving it, bearing in mind I was 8. But still, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I do love a good film like that.



3. The Sound Of Music (1965)
OK, this one is nowhere near a Christmas film, but every year, someone plays it and since it is already one of my favourite films and I know pretty much every word by heart, I thought it would make its way on this list. It's about a girl Maria (played by the wonderful Julie Andrews) who is in the Salzburg nunnery and she is sent on her way to be a governess of 12 children of Captain Von Trapp and he is very strict. Everything is very strict in that house and when Maria comes in, she wants to make the kids happy...and that's with singing.
It's a musical, set during the second world war in Salzburg and it's amazing. I love it with a passion, I can sing all the songs and I still cry sometimes when I watch it, because it's just that good and I really want you to give it a try during Christmas, even if the film is not even remotely Christmas-themed.



2. Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
It seems that all of my favourite Christmas films were made quite a long time ago... what a coincidence! Anyway, I prefer the first film to the second, just because I find it a lot more hilarious and after all, it's happening during Christmastime and it gives hope to the lonely women during Christmas who think that their only two boyfriends ever would be two men called Ben and Jerry (see what I did there?).
Basically, Bridget is trying to get a boyfriend and she can't get anyone, well, until she sees her old friend Mark (who wears ridiculous Christmas jumpers) and she likes him, but she doesn't know if he likes her because of her foolish behaviour and stuff like that, but then he did and-ahh, it's just a comedy that contains a bunch of misunderstandings and it's just really bloody adorable and the amount of pure gold British humour is unbelievable and basically, the awkward situations that Bridget gets herself in make me piss my pants every time I see it, although I've seen it every Christmas for as long as I can remember. Along with the next film which is...


1. Love Actually (2003)
If you didn't see this one coming, then I'm judging you SO HARD, you can't even imagine! Anyway, if you've been living under a rock and you never turned on the TV during Christmastime, Love Actually is a film that stars plenty of fabulous British actors and the whole thing was written by Richard Curtis, so you know it's bloody hilarious and it's a very light-hearted comedy that basically makes a bunch of people (including the Prime Minister!) realise that Christmas is a lovely time and that it's all about love and without it everything would be plain and stuff and it's just adorable!
I do admit that I've seen the film at some other points during the whole year, but it has the biggest impact on you during Christmas and I just feel so happy after seeing this, so I definitely recommend that you see this, and if you haven't yet... I AM JUDGING YOU SO HARD, I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING.



And that wraps up this years' Christmas blogging! I am literary so excited for Christmas on Wednesday and I am all hyped up and I doubt I'll get any sleep at all. Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this blogging event with me (and if you want, I can do one next year, but a bit different) and I shall see you very, very soon!
Merry Christmas everybody!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena