Katherine reads: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer


          Rumour has it Artemis Fowl is responsible for every major crime of the new century...

I have read this book series a while back, but as far as I can remember, back then, there were only three books out and now, the whole series is finished and I'm late on the boat, again, but here's what I have to say on Artemis Fowl that my roommate has kindly agreed on lending me for the next couple of months.

Artemis is a twelve year-old child prodigy; he's a genius and descends from a line of Irish criminal masterminds that dates back to god knows when. He inherited the genius gene from his father, Artemis senior, who went missing two years before the book starts.
Anyway, the child prodigy is researching the possible existence of an underground civilisation called the fairies. With the help of the Book (the holy book of the Fairies, like the Bible or something), he finds out about a ritual that the fairies presumably do every full moon or so. After four months they finally catch a fairy performing the ritual.
The fairy Captain Holly Short is now held captive by an Irish criminal mastermind, without her magic (which she lost during the ritual)  and her superiors are firmly decided to save her or start a cross-species war. They use loads of ways to break into Artemis' house (and they even call a troll to help them out) and at the end, Holly manages to escape from her cell in the basement and get her to the child prodigy. While the other fairies are still trying to save her, she bargains for her life and Artemis demands a ton of fairy gold.
But there's a trick; the fairy gold belongs to fairies. After a few hours of handing it in, it would disappear, but
Artemis uses some clever tricks to keep the gold, asks the fairy to cure his mothers' insanity and he lets Holly go.

This was a very vague explanation of the whole book and there are a lot more scenes in between, but I thought I would just give you a quick scoop and then here's my opinion on it.

I think that the problem with this is that I am not twelve any more or younger. This book was written for very, very young kids and it says that a twelve year old can be a genius. Since I'll be sixteen in April, I have already seen twelve year olds... and they're nowhere near that. This made the reading experience a lot less enjoyable then I would want it to be, because at some points, I just thought it was a bit dull.
But when the events were interesting, I gathered quite a lot of likes on this book. For example, Artemis reminded me of a young version of Loki. Like, all the tricks and frauds he used to keep the gold and other things are just something I could cross-reference it with.
Also, Colfer developed all the characters really well and I appreciate that, because some of the current writers don't fully develop the characters and use their potential as well as he did, so that is a plus.
With his writing, I am happy that this has been made into a book series, because I can imagine that children from the ages 10-12 will be able to reach after good books and good book series, which I have already discussed in a blog post I posted very recently.

All in all, I would give this book 3.5/5 because it did appear a bit dull at some places, but I would still recommend you to read it, because it has quite a rich vocabulary and I learned quite a few words while reading, believe it or not.
I shall continue with reading the whole series, but I won't do a blog post on every book, because it would just seem a bit dull and I also have to read An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (which I will do a review on) and Hamlet for school, so... I've got a cheery week coming up!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this blog post and I shall see you very soon!
xxx Katherine

1 comments:

  1. Uh, I remember reading one of the books from the series A LONG TIME AGO. I was... 10, 12? And I didn't like it very much... Maybe I should reread it, now that I'm more mature. (Also, it was in Slovene, so it double-sucked) I agree with the dullnes. I really should reread it...

    ReplyDelete

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena