Katherine is a geek.

I used to be really offended if someone called me geek. I always used to take it as a bad thing (and it depends on your point of view) and it used to be considered bad until some clever and very popular company decided to print the word "geek" on their t-shirts and then it became a staple word to describe oneself.
It basically swam into the mainstream, that's what I'm saying.

But the true meaning of the word kind of got lost on the way. Wearing Ray Ban Wayfarer glasses (or an original fake) without need doesn't make you a geek. Wearing a shirt with the word "geek" or "nerd" printed all over your chest doesn't make you a geek. Wearing shirts buttoned up 'till your neck doesn't make you a geek. None of that shit makes you a geek. Taking a photo of a complicated mathematical equation where the result is i <3u isn't at all geeky, that's the bottom of trying to be a geek, get the fuck out!

Found on weheartit.com under the tag "geek"
The photo above is also a fine example of things that aren't fucking geeky. And it's not so correct. Well, we are made of atoms, obviously, but the perfect term for it would be cells, because, technically, we refer to the cell as the smallest particle of living organisms. Feel free to correct me, but my biology teacher and I discussed this photo before I even wrote this blog post, so I have her back up.

A person is a geek if their interests are geeky and it doesn't matter how you look or what you wear. That doesn't make you a geek in the slightest and if you think it does... then you might want to click off this blog post, because I will probably continue insulting you.

I have thought about this and I have built a strong case that kind of led me to believing that I am a geek. A pretty big one. Oooookay... Here we go.

1. My favourite subjects at school were biology and chemistry and I am not kidding. I genuinely loved it and I was the only person who wouldn't fall asleep during both of those lessons and I just listened so carefully to everything the teacher said and I had straight A's at both of those subjects. I am still very interested into them both, but I don't have chemistry anymore and I have a really crap biology teacher now, so my love for biology isn't as big as it used to be, but in primary school I loved it.

2. When I was 12, I decided to read War and Peace, purely because I was interested into literature and I wanted to read it. I have read about 3 books out of 4 and then I couldn't do it anymore, because I didn't like it as much. The descriptions were too thorough for my liking and nothing happened, which was a bit depressing.

3. At school, we have to read quite important plays and books for our Literature classes and I am way too excited about them all. For this year, we've planned out Ancient Greek tales and myths, Antigone, Hamlet, The Decameron and a Slovenian play of our choice. I have already read the first three and I was so excited to read them all that I got myself a tiny notebook and then wrote what's happening in every chapter/scene. It's like a drug to me... literature, I mean.

4. I can play three types of flute (the proper one that you point on your right, the beak flute and the Irish whistle), the piano, a bit of the harmonica and I'm saving up money to buy myself a ukulele for my birthday. I didn't recieve any lessons for the beak flute, the whistle and the harmonica, because I have enough brain capacity to self-taught. Through the summer I plan to learn the ukulele.

5. I'm interested in old things and how they work, so that's why I have a massive collection of things that are over 60 years old (about 5 pairs of sunglasses, an ancient radio which doesn't work and just sits in my room as a piece of decoration, a bracelet that used to belong to my great grand-aunt who used to be this really bad ass editor-in-chief of a very important magazine in the 1920's, a lot of jewellery and I could go on for ages).

6. I have a massive obsession with Doctor Who, in case you haven't noticed yet.

7. I made myself two very geeky t-shirts; one with the Deathly Hallows sign and one with the Doctor Who logo (the one that looks like the TARDIS, but it says DW) and I wear them with pride in public and I don't care what people say about me. Although they used to say if a bird pooped on my shirt, because you have to try really hard to read the DW thing and it kind of seems like poop.

8. I love going to museums (any type of museum, take me there, it's just my natural habitat) and art galleries and they all somehow seem to be situated outside Slovenia. My favourites are the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and the British Museum in London, the National Gallery, the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

9. I'm generally very shy around people that I don't know and I don't feel comfortable in a new environment with people I don't know.

10. I'm very interested in History, Biology and Chemistry, so every time I see something that I don't understand about those three subjects, I'll go online and do hours and hours of research, just because I'm interested in it, not because someone's forcing me to do it. That's what I spend my time doing, besides Tumblr.

11. I partially modelled my blue winter coat on Captain Jack's coat. If you don't know who Captain Jack is... get the fuck out.

12. I have a Harry Potter like scar on my upper lip and that was a result of a genetic mutation. Thanks genetics, I'm the ultimate fangirl now!

At the beginning I said that I used to be really offended if someone called me a geek... but now I don't give a fuck, to be completely honest. I know that those traits are good things that might benefit me in life, so that's the reason why you shouldn't care if someone uses the word "geek" or "nerd" to describe you, because in some way, they've got to be jealous (scientifically proven).
So, continue maintaining those traits and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena