Katherine reads: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (MASSIVE SPOILERS!)


You can clearly see why I wanted to read this book for a while, right?

Colin Singleton is a child prodigy; he's 17, he loves anagramming and wishes to become a genius in his life by experiencing an eureka moment. He's also very strange; all the 19 girlfriends he ever had in his life were named Katherine (not Kate or Kathy or, god forbid, Catherine, but Katherine) and he remembers that every Katherine dumped him.
After Katherine XIX dumped him, just after high school graduation, Colin is convinced by his only friend Hassan to go on a road trip. They drove from Chicago and their journey stops in a town called Gutshot in Tennessee, where they come across the supposed resting place of the Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and that's where they meet a girl called Lindsey Lee Wells. She gives them a tour of the place and then, after a series of not-so-unfortunate events, her mother Hollis hires them to do interviews with the older citizens of Gutshot, considering its history and at 500 dollars per week, it seems a good option.
During that time, Colin decides to work on the Theorem of Underlying Katherine Probability and it's basically an equation that will decide how long a relationship will last and who will dump who and considering his history with the Katherines, he needed that. Alas, something's not right, because the equation doesn't work.
Even though Lindsey isn't named Katherine, Colin is strangely attracted to her and she's attracted to him, but she has a boyfriend that's also named Colin (reffered to as TOC, the other Colin). Lindsey helps him make the equation work (even though she got a C in maths) and we find out a lot more about him than we think.
When Hassan and Colin start hanging out with Lindsey's friends, they are invited to a ferral hog hunt by TOC and his father and that's when things start to unroll in front of our eyes. We find out a lot more about Colin's relationship with Katherine I and XIX and who exactly is burried in the tomb (because come on, who are we kidding, there's no way it's Franz Ferdinand). Let's just say that anagramming comes in handy at this point.

First of all, good job, Slovenian bookshops! You've started selling John Green books! Congratulations to Slovenian publishers! You've started translating John Green books! (although I will definitely stick to the originals, the translations aren't my thing and they're not as real as the actual book in its original language).

Then, it's John Green. I most certainly loved it.

This was first published in 2006, meaning I was 8, meaning it was quite early for John Green when he started writing it. I can definitely compare the writing in Katherines and The Fault In Our Stars, because it's very different. It has less of those long sentences that he's very well known for. I liked it quite a lot, it's a bit easier to follow, but it has some of those complicated math terms that a lot of us won't understand, because I am not the best in it. The whole book is very mathematical, so it  might put some of you off, but it's not necessary to understand everything he says in order to understand the whole plot.

I like the whole story, I really do. I appreciate the fact that he chose the name Katherine, not Kate or anything like that. I like how the book has tiny notes at the bottom of every page and explains very nerdy and geeky stuff to us. I like the writing. I like the characters and their development. I like the twists and turns in it. I just like it OK?!

It was a great book to read and it flew so quickly. I literary read it in a day (bearing in mind that I read it during boring classes that didn't really need my attention, like English and History and Biology and Slovene) and I just had to hold myself together sometimes, because I thought I will die of laughter. When I saw it in a bookshop, I bought it with the 10 euros I had on me that my mother gave me to buy flowers for my grandmother's birthday. I am not at all sorry. I'd gladly spend any amount of money necessary to get all his books, because I want to read them.

I would highly recommend you this book, because it's just bloody brilliant and it's John Green. You're going to love it, even if you say you won't. You will and stop lying to yourself. It's bad for you.

OK, I have no idea what will I post next in this series, but I have a lot of stuff coming up in school, so again, this will have to be put on hold because of school (fuck you, school). Still, if you have any book recommendations, I'm always here to listen!
I shall see you soon,
xxx Katherine

1 comments:

  1. Hey, have you reviewed The Tales of Beedle the Bard (and if you haven't, will you)? I know it's rather short, but along with the other two books from HP universe they could make a nice bundle. I don't know how to speak.
    Or maybe an in-depth look at each HP book? Idk, I want something HP related. Maybe a sort-of-analysis of your favourite moments or some of the characters or...?
    OR - or just present us something from your personal library.

    ReplyDelete

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena