Thoughts on: animal testing pt. 2

So, a few months back in October I published a blog post called Thoughts on: animal testing and I rambled on about how much I'd love to use cruelty-free make up, but they're not accessible in Slovenia and all that shennanigans. It didn't make much sense, because I continued using products that have been tested on animals and it was basically pointless.

The main problem with this was that I didn't do enough research on it. I did that video backed up by a video from tyranosauruslexxx and she included a list of companies that don't test on animals, but that list didn't include any brands that I knew besides from Lush and Barry M. I thought that was it and I genuinely believed I was fucked. Because of desperation, I didn't do anything about my make up habits. I continued doing my make-up routine as I used to.

Fairly recently, I watched the video again and said to myself: "Right, I'm going to take all of the make up brands I know and check if they're cruelty free or not," and googled it. I was quite surprised and in a good way. I was actually very happy with the turn out.
I discovered some brands that are European and produce their cosmetics in Europe. I didn't have a clue how many there actually are and it made me weirdly proud. I also did the research on their mother companies and this is the turn out.

I've already spoken about Essence Cosmetics. They are a German brand that produce their make up in Düsseldorf, I think. Germany is the most advanced country in Europe about animal testing laws and I didn't know that. I thought they were as bad as everyone else, but it turns out that since 1998, Germany has made animal testing illegal, longer than anyone else in Europe. I'm really happy about that, because I like Essence's cosmetics and I don't feel bad about using them anymore. Also, they are an independent brand with no mother company.



There have been some speculations whether Bourjois is actually a brand that doesn't test on animals. There's also the popular belief that Chanel (that does animal testing) owns Bourjois, but with some research, I've realised that all the speculations are wrong. Bourjois is a cruelty free brand that doesn't test their finished products on animals, however they don't say if their ingredients are tested on animals. Also about Chanel owning Bourjois... it's the other way around. In 1924, Coco Chanel approached this guy called Pierre Wertheimer (the then owner of Bourjois) to help her make her perfumes. Today, the Wertheimer's descendants own both companies, but they've had Bourjois for a lot longer than Chanel, so basically... Bourjois owns Chanel, not the other way around.

It's no surprise that Barry M is on this list. This British company hasn't tested their products on animals ever since their foundation in 1982 and it's one of the leading British cruelty-free companies (besides Lush, Illamasqua and so on). It's also independent, meaning there are no animal-testing mother companies to be afraid of.



Another very big surprise to me was Catrice. This cosmetics brand that produces really good make up (and a mascara for 4€ that has 5 stars on makeupalley.com, which is a rare and strange occurrence) is cruelty free and doesn't test any of their ingredients on animals, but is owned by Art Deco... which, fortunately, doesn't test anything on animals either. It's a German company and when I say German, you know it's cruelty free because of its laws, which is bloody brilliant. Both produce amazing and quite affordable make up products (apart from Art Deco's foundation range) and I'm pretty happy with that.





Eyes Lips Face (or otherwise known, ELF) is an American make up brand that produces vegan as well as vegetarian products that aren't tested on animals. Their products are very affordable (probably in the same price range as Essence or other companies like Maybelline and Max Factor) and very good quality and just very high quality.



Sticking with American cruelty-free brands, it's NYX. Founded in god-knows-when, they are also vegan and vegetarian and also cruelty free (some products do contain some animal delivered ingredients, so best check the label before buying something from them) and they are an independent company with no supperior company.


I've previously mentioned Illamasqua, which is a high-end British company, only launched in 2008 with quite a hefty price tag, but very high quality products which a lot of beauty bloggers rave about. They produce everything from foundations to eyeshadows, so they're worth having a peep at.



And the last, but not least, it's Lush. Every fool knows that Lush has been fighting animal testing since the beginning and that was the reason the company was founded. They sell cruelty free make-up, bath products, hair and body care, perfumes, anything your heart desires. They're probably the most versatile cruelty-free company out there. Sure, their products can have a hefty price tag, but this is probably the only company we're a 1234345484% sure that they don't test on animals and with the high quality products, we can't be more grateful than we already are.

There are also some companies that don't test on animals, but have a mother company that does: Urban Decay, Nars, The Body Shop, Burt's Bees, Stila (buying their products is completely up to you, but just so you know... UD and TBS are owned by L'Oreal. Don't buy them). Sleek is a company that states they're against animal testing and don't test on animals, but they sell their make up in China, so their statement might be questionable. Also, have your eyes peeled on Revlon; they stopped selling their products in China, now we're waiting for the official declaration from the company itself that they've stopped testing on animals (I really hope they do, because their products are amazing). Soap and Glory is a brand that says that their finished products haven't been tested on animals, but they can't guarantee that all of their ingredients are cruelty free (buying their products is completely up to you). MUA is a brand that doesn't test any of their products or ingredients on animals, but some of the products may come from animal sources, so if you're a vegetarian or vegan, then this brand may not be for you.

Fragrance wise, Prada, Valentino and Nina Ricci don't test their perfumes/eau de toilette's (is that even grammatically correct? I have no idea.) on animals, nor are any of their ingredients tested on animals.

The week of holidays that I had last week all went into research for making this blog post. I hope you found it useful and I hope it made you switch your make up habits, because after looking into animal testing in a lot more depth, I suddenly wished I'd never started wearing make up.
I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

1 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Good to know these things and I assure you, the time you put in your research isn't wasted. ;)

    ReplyDelete

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena