Top 10: Most influential books

*not putting them in any order, because fuck you. 


Roald Dahl- Mathilda
This was one of the first books I've ever read that made me relate to the character SO BADLY. At the time, I was starting to be bullied because I always had my nose stuck up in a book and I didn't know what I should do. At exactly the same time, we had to read Mathilda for school and I remember reading it and being like: "THANK FUCK DAHL WROTE THIS BOOK!" (didn't use that specific wording, but OK) and walking up to my teacher and just hugging her for making us read the book. It's taught me that it's OK if you're a bookworm, because of that you're intelligent and witty and clever and smart and you shouldn't give a fuck what other people think of it.

Enid Blyton- Five On A Treasure Island
This was the first book I ever read on my own and it's the first part of a book series of approximately 30 or even more books and it was the first book series I got into. It was supposed to teach me that lying is for cowards (thanks, Georgina), but it didn't sink into my mind very well, but anyway. This is the book that got me into reading. 

Sue Monk Kidd- The Secret Life Of Bees
I admit, I read the it because of the film version and I absolutely loved it. It was also one of the first books that I've read and WANTED to have in my personal library. Like, I had a few books, but I borrowed most of them from the library at the time and I just needed to buy this one and a new edition just came out and I bought it. Best spend 20 euros on a book in my life. Also, it taught me of letting go of old mistakes and regrets and how to start living a new life.


Markus Zusak- The Book Thief
This one has influenced me in more of a historical way. When we're taught about World War II in History class, we are always taught that the Germans were the bad guys (which is true), but it doesn't apply to everyone. This book has shown me that not all Germans were bad, that not all of them had anything against the Jews and other citizens of the world and there were good people among the bad ones. Also, friendship has no boundaries. 


Book and film review here.
Book review here.

John Green- The Fault In Our Stars
Besides being the first book that emotionally cripple me, this was the first book I read in English and the first John Green book available in Slovenia. The peasant country that is Slovenia finally got to meet great young adult fiction. 


Tracy Chevalier- Girl With A Pearl Earring
Again, one of the rare books I read because I've seen the film first and absolutely loved it. It made me interested in art and finding out the stories behind the paintings, if there is one. Conveniently, I read it before I went on a trip to the Netherlands, hence buying a fuck load of things with the girl with a pearl earring on it. 



J.K. Rowling- The Harry Potter Series
It's one of the first book series I read and I practically grew up with it. I wasn't old enough to see every single book published by itself, but I was old enough to see the fith, sixth and seventh book out and it was a wonderful journey. It's taught me that magic is possible and that it makes everything either extremely beautiful or it can make you suffer and your life difficult. Also, my imagination exploded because of it.



E.M. Forster- A Room With A View
Again, I'm going to blame the 1980-something film for reading this book. I wasn't a big fan of classical literature until seeing this film and reading this book, because I thought it's all boring and hard to read and all about politics and war and society and stuff like that, but reading this book made me realise that isn't the case. This is the book that introduced me and inspired me to read classical literature and since then, I've read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey (by Jane Austen), started reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles (by Thomas Hardy), read a few of the Sherlock Holmes stories (by sir Arthur Conan Doyle), Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Bronte) and plenty others.

Found on terriebert.com
Stephenie Meyer- The Twilight Saga
HOLD THE FUCK UP, don't get me wrong. There's no bloody way in hell I like the series in any way (although I have one book at home, I GOT IT BEFORE THE HYPE BEGAN, OK?!), but this is what this book did to me. NOW I KNOW WHAT SHITTY LITERATURE LOOKS LIKE.



Eoin Colfer- Artemis Fowl series
The reason I'm including this on my list is fairly new; I've only started reading them this year and I'm on book number five and I love them a lot more than I did at the beginning. Since I've started reading them, I've realised that it's OK to read children's books or books for 12 year old boys more often and that I shouldn't feel bad about it. Also, kids can be really fucking cool. Just saying.


Book review here.

It was about time for another Top 10, don't you think? The last one I did was on costume dramas a while back (and you can click here to check it out!) and I felt like I needed to make the top 10 lists make a comeback. Anyway, I hope you liked this and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena