Birthday haul!

*long blog post ahead alert!


Soooooooooooooo... I'm sixteen. My birthday was on Wednesday (the 23rd of April) and now I am officially closer to twenty than ten... boy, this ain't good. Anyway, my family being my family, I got loads of book vouchers and vouchers for my local drugstore, so here is what I got. By the way, this isn't me showing off or bragging, it's just something to show you what I think about these products and I hope that this benefits you in some way. 



I'm going to start with lips. I bought a Bourjois Rouge Edition lipstick in 05 Brun Boheme, Essence XXXL Shine Lip Gloss with Matt Effect in 06 Soft Nude and Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (the necessity of being a flautist). The Bourjois lipstick is incredible; it's the perfect nude, everyday colour. It's just slightly darker than my lips and it has a bit of brown tones to it (as the name would suggest) and it lasts incredibly long, even through a day full of talking. I got loads of nice compliments on it, so it's perfect. The matt lip gloss is completely identical to my lips, so it basically adds a bit of shine to my lips, but still, it lasts a long time (I suppose it's the cheaper version of the MUA Luxe Velvet things, Lime Crime Velvetines and the Bourjois matt lip glosses) and makes my lips all shiny. I have no words to add to the lip balm, because it's probably my fourth repurchase and I love it a lot. 


Then, I've started using brushes and I decided to use the Body & Soul brushes from the drugstore and they're absolutely amazing. They're cruelty free and the cheapest thing in existence (the most expensive one is like, 3,5€, so practically nothing) and I adore them. They pick up the product so well and the hair doesn't fall off at all, so I'm very pleased with them. I bought the powder brush, lip brush and eyeshadow brush (because all the brushes that come with the palettes are a piece of shit) and they are serving me well. 




Speaking of eyeshadows, I may have gone a bit overboard... I got the Essence All About Nude eyeshadow palette (with six, slightly pinky-based shades) and Catrice Absolute Bright eyeshadow palette (with very pastel-y shades). Both of these palettes contain more lighter shades than I'm usually using, but they're both really wearable and so easy to work with. The first palette was 3€ and the latter was 5€ and for their value, they're amazing. The pigmentation of the shades is insane and if you can pick these bad boys up, then I definitely recommend it!


Next are all the products in any kind of pencil; I got the Essence Kajal Eye Pencil in  01 Black and 04 White and Essence Eyebrow Pencil (yes, I'm a grown up, I've started doing my eyebrows). The eye pencils are really well pigmented and for their value, they're good, but I think there are better pencils out there, but still. For their value, they're not that bad, but I would suggest looking around a bit for better alternatives for their money. However, the eyebrow pencil is incredible. It stays put even if I sweat like a pig (and I didn't even put it in place with clear mascara) and I can remove it without a single problem (which doesn't apply logically to my previous statement, but fuck it). It comes in four shades, so if you can find the shade that suits you, definitely get this product if you can.



Next, two nail varnishes. First one is from (yes, you guessed it) Essence in 164 Crazy Fancy Love, which is a gorgeous bronzy colour (the shade is the same as Maybelline's Colour Tattoo in On And On Bronze) and the other is from Revlon and it's in 460 Valentine. They both glide on amazingly and stay put without chipping for at least 4 days (the Revlon can last even longer) and I really enjoy these two colours and they're pretty perfect for my skin tone as well, so that's great!

Changing the background a bit, because I'm edgy like that... (bedding from IKEA)

My hair's in a bit of a situation; it's very bad, frizzy, has a lot of split ends and just horrible. I did say that I was going to support a lot of cruelty free companies, but this time I had to break that rule, because my hair needs some serious help and I don't think that any cruelty free product will help me. I got Dove's Intensive Repair conditioner and spray. These retail for 3.19€ for a large bottle (so it's kind of affordable) and basically, they are helping me towards better hair and I don't intend buying them again, but for quick and good solution of your hair, these products are amazing, but not cruelty free, unfortunately. If they were, I'd be buying the shit out of them.


Not a single blog post can go by without Lush, can't it? I bought the Tea Tree Water tonic for the face and Mint Julips lip scrub for my lips. Now, the lip scrub was a repurchase and I just love it (that's why you bought it, you idiot), but the Tea Tree Water was a bit of an experiment. I have spot and acne prone skin and supposedly, this is supposed to make miracles and reduce their appearance. You spray it all over your face (or put it on a cotton pad and wipe it around), but on moisturiser and you're good to go. It definitely reduces the appearance of spots and acne and I think that even my pores have closed up a bit. Anyway, this products creates a completely flawless canvas and I think that if I use this before putting on my make up, it definitely makes a difference and stays put and just makes applying make up a lot easier. All in all, it has my seal of approval. 



Now, the book part of the haul. My book collection grew by seven books and I am not sorry. So, the first two books that I got (sue me for giving into the YA mainstream literature) are Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth (I've read Divergent and posted about it here and here and I'm a third through Insurgent, but I love it so far). I am very interested in this series and I can't wait for the third book to come to Slovenia; it's been more than four months since it came out and apparently, it's still not in stock ANYWHERE and it's making me very anxious. Anyway, really good distopian, sort of love story (but not really) and the film came out, so you might as well go out and see it after reading the books. 

The following two books are my current pride and joy, Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (and the latter by David Leuithan). I haven't read them yet, because I hadn't had the chance, but I'm definitely happy with the fact that I only have Let It Snow to pick up and then, my nerdfighter book collection is complete. 

I bought the next book because of Sanne from booksandquills, who also persuaded me to buy the Veronica Roth books and it's No and Me by Delphine de Vigan. I'm halfway through it and it's about this very intelligent 13-year-old girl who did a presentation on the homeless in Paris and needed an insight into their life, so she meets up with No, a 18-year-old homeless girl and it follows their relationship and all that. I like it; it's very French and really relatable, and apparently, they also filmed a film based upon the book, so I can watch that later. 

The following two books are the first classical additions to my book collection and I bought Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Vaugh and The Great Gatsby (finally) by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I have previously read The Great Gatsby and I loved it and I'm looking forward to reading Brideshead, although loads of people told me that they weren't impressed with the book, but the film is great and I would like to create my own opinion on it, so I will give it a go. 


...and that is it for my birthday haul. I know it might seem like a lot, but I am really happy to have received all of these things and I will put them to very good use. I hope you've enjoyed this post and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena