Katherine reads: Divergent by Veronica Roth (MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!)

...and above is a little sneak peak to my next haul. 

I finally jumped on the wagon with this one, so here's what I thought about it!

Beatrice Prior is a sixteen-year-old girl, about to make the biggest decision of her life. She lives in an almost post-apocalyptic world where society is divided into factions and at the age of sixteen, they get to chose which one will they join; Abnegation (values selflessness), Amity (values friendship), Candor (values honesty), Erudite (values knowledge) and Dauntless (values bravery). Beatrice lives in Abnegation and she doesn't feel that she fits into that society and before the Choosing Ceremony, she undergoes some tests and the results show that she's Divergent. It means that she doesn't fit into any faction perfectly; she carries the traits of all the factions within her and it's a very deadly trait.
At the Choosing Ceremony, she decides to abandon her mother and father and she chooses Dauntless, not knowing quite what she signed up for. Her brother, who's also sixteen, chooses Erudite, so her parents are left completely alone, without a descendant, which makes Beatrice and Caleb transfers.
To truly become Dauntless, Beatrice has to survive some severe training, where you mustn't fail, otherwise you become factionless, which is kind of an equivalent to not going to high school in our world and being the lady who cleans toilets behind snobby men. She's good at facing some of the missions the head trainers give them (like facing her fears in fear landscape), but she's not so good at the others (physical fighting and stuff) and when Tris and her friends in Dauntless (including the hot and very sexy trainer, who they only refer to as Four) realise that war might be approaching, they have to become stronger and fight for what they believe in.

I know this is probably the shittiest summary of Divergent, but this is the scoop that doesn't give away too much spoilers. Now onto the review bit of the post.
This book... I don't like post-apocalyptic world books at all, I just don't find them appealing (I didn't like The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner at all), but this one... I have no idea what's it about this one, but it's bloody brilliant. The writing is so fast-paced, everything is described so clearly and you paint everything in your head straight away and it's just brilliant. Also, you get through it in a heartbeat. I read it in three very, VERY busy days and I think it would take me four hours to get through it on a day I had nothing to do at all (like on holiday).
Also, this is a book for the shippers. Everything is soooooo goddamn shippable... well, there's only one shippable ship... I don't need to drop much of a clue, do I?
It's quite relatable to our era, because no matter how different the world Tris lives in is, she still has to face all the things sixteen-year-olds have to face (like discovering your identity, make up, intimacy, that sort of thing) and even if it's slightly apocalyptic, you can still connect it to our time and environment.
Anyway, this was a very enjoyable book and I don't regret a cent of those 12 or 13 euros I spent on this book. It's a part of a trilogy, so I still have two more books to read, but I already know the biggest spoiler for this series, which I'm not going to share with you, but apparently, tears will be streaming.

I'd give Divergent a very optimistic 5/5, because it's definitely one of the better YA books out there and definitely worth a read.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena