Say YES!

Recently, things have gone a bit coo-coo in my life.

About a month back was our school's prom, meaning for seniors only. With me being a freshman, I didn't think anything of it. I wouldn't be involved in it and it would have no impact on my life whatsoever... or so I thought. My roommates are seniors, meaning there were a lot of visits to our room from other girls and plenty of discussions about dresses, shoes, accessories, the huge drunk fest happening afterwards and of course, make up.
A girl came to our room and I was just doing my make up, because I wanted to try out something new and I was just playing around with my make up a bit. She spoke to my roommates and then they looked at what I was doing and at the amount of make up I had lying all over my bed. A few minutes later, she asked me to do her make up for the prom night. 

You've got to understand, I've started (seriously) wearing make up about four months ago. I do not know that much about make up, I've had no training in make up or putting it on other people, but there's one thing I do a lot in my free time. I watch YouTube videos. I think it's thanks to all the make up tutorials on YouTube that I've learnt to do it so quickly. 

Without a seconds' thought I'd say no, but at the same time I really wanted to do it. I told her I know nothing about it and that it might look disastrous, but she said: "Yeah, but it might not." And then I gave into peer pressure and said: "Yeah, sure, why not?"

...and then the planning began. But that's not the thing I'm going to talk about today. 

After we've planned everything out, I took a shower and went to bed and I couldn't sleep. Then my anxiety kicked in. I was going to do her make up at the venue and the place would be full of seniors thinking: "What the fuck is a freshman doing at our prom? Did she lose her way or something?" I dread to think what people think of me when they see me where I'm not supposed to be. I don't know why and I know I shouldn't care, but when I'm being watched or judged, I feel very anxious and I start to panic, unless I have people I know around me. 

That night, I couldn't sleep for more than three hours and I needed to tell someone the other day. 

I rang up my sister and she gave me the best advice I could ever have received. She said: "You said yes, so you're doing it. She asked you to do her make up because she trusts you and knows that you could make her look absolutely beautiful and stunning. You have your skill set, so use it. Don't let it rot away somewhere in the back of your head just because you think that other people will judge you for it. You will do her a favour and your work will be seen by other people and they will remember you, so for fuck's sakes, stop whining about it."

...and then it hit me. I almost declined doing something I'd love to do because I was afraid of some looks from other people. So what if they look at me? So what if they think that I might have lost my way or something? I had my friends there and they would keep those thoughts away from me. If I'll let these things get to me, then I think I won't achieve anything in my life. Fear almost stopped me from doing the most interesting thing that has happened to me in the past few years. 

My point is that even though new opportunities may seem fucking terrifying and the thought of failing will scare the life out of you, say yes. The only way to shoot an arrow into the unknown (and possibly into good things) is to pull it backwards, even though it might seem fucking terrifying and that's kind of the moral of this blog post. If you really want to do it, then for god's sakes, say YES! I have to get over this fear and if you suffer from it as well, then we'll go through it together! It won't be easy, but for god sakes...just do it. Say yes! 

...and it was a really good decision. I did her make up brilliantly and other girls actually watched me do it and they said they learnt a lot and I was basically like a tourist attraction and I got a few more offers and I decided to do it. They even asked me, how much did the girl pay to get my make up! (I did it for free, although she gave me a MASSIVE bar of chocolate the other day).

So, yeah. I highly encourage you to take your chances and do things you wouldn't do normally, because it does pay off and your work gets seen and people won't think you're weird, they'll respect you and blah blah blah. You get the point. 

I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

P.S. Below is the look I did on the girl, plus information on all the products I used.



Because this girl's dress was quite... extravagant, the face area had to be really subtle, so we went for a slight line of gold just above her lashline, some black liner on her waterline and mascara on the eyes and a subtle pink lipstick.

Face: 
Revlon ColourStay Concealer in 02 Light
Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in 130 Shell
Essence All About Matt Fixing Loose Powder (translucent)
Essence Brow Designer Pencil in 02 Brown

Eyes:
Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base
MUA Heaven And Earth Eyeshadow Palette (gold shade, top row, third from left and bit of brown in the outer V, bottom row, second shade from right and the highlighting shade, top row, first from left)
Essence Kajal Pencil in 01 Black
Max Factor Clump Defy by False Lash Effect Mascara

Lips:
Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
Bourjois Rouge Edition Lipstick in 02 Brun Boheme

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena