I Heart: Revlon

So I'm back with the brand-focus-type blog post, which I love reading and making as well! This time, I decided to put Revlon under the spotlight, because it is one of my favourite brands from the drugstore for quite a while (and they're exiting the Chinese market, so they will hopefully stop doing 3rd party animal testing sometime this year) and I thought I'd share some of the history about the company and also, my favourite products!

So, Revlon was founded in 1932 in the midst of the Great Depression by Charles Revson and his brother Joseph with the help of a chemist called Charles Lachman, who contributed the "L" in the name. First off, they started by producing nail varnishes and by the end of 1940, they were a multi-millionaire company selling manicure products and also lipsticks (some of the shades they still sell to date). They also worked with the US Army and by the end of 1945, they were one of the most successful cosmetic houses in the USA and by the end of the 1950's, they were very popular overseas.
Over the years, they bought plenty companies, selling diabetes drugs, shoe polish, anything like that and they themselves started selling more and more lipsticks, foundations and other face products. In 1989, they were one of the first companies to stop animal testing, but in 2011, they started selling to China, meaning they started conducting 3rd party animal tests, but luckily, at the end of 2013, they said that they will withdraw from China and hopefully stop animal tests. They have given out no statement confirming that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Today, Revlon can be found in almost any drugstore and it is known in the beauty blogger world that their products are really top quality and for their price, you cannot go wrong and I happen to agree with that statement. So, here are my four products that I just... love.


The first product I'm going to talk about is by far one of the best. I'm talking about their Nearly Naked Foundation in 130 Shell and 150 Nude. I use this couple all year round, it just seems to match my skin perfectly (the lighter one in winter, the combination in spring and autumn and the darker in summer) and it's just one of the best foundations I've ever used. It's got SPF 15, there are quite a lot of shades for very pale and very dark skinned people. It's not the best foundation coverage-wise, but I don't have bad skin and it doesn't need much covering up (that's the job of the next product). It looks very natural on the skin, hence the name, and you don't end up with an orange face, that's for sure. It blends perfectly and at 11€, it's relatively affordable. One thing that I find annoying though is the fact that it hasn't got a pump. Sad face.

Next product I need to share is the ColourStay Concealer in 02 Light. This stuff is just bloody brilliant. I like to use quite a heavy concealer and then a light foundation and this alongside my previously mentioned foundation works like a charm. They really are a perfect colour match and this bottle is lasting me absolute ages, since December I think. It doesn't feel cakey on the skin and it's just... perfect for the price of, yet again, I think, 11€.


I'm kind of cheating with the next category, because I will be mentioning two products, but they're all lip products. The first one is the Lip Butter in 096 Macaroon. Why does nobody talk about this shade? It's all Candy Apple, Red Velvet, Tutti Frutti, but this one is such an underdog. It's a gorgeous, dark pink shade. I thought it might be the same shade as my Bourjois Rouge Edition Lipstick in 05 Brun Boheme, but it's not. It's slightly pinky and a lot more sheer (I mean, it's supposed to be sheer, but the pigmentation of this one is pretty amazing) and it applies like a charm. It feels like jam, but it's very moisturising and not at all drying. It is a bit overpriced (11€) for how much you get, but I got it on offer for 7€, so I took the chance.
The next lip product I want to talk about is their ColourStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in 010 Womenswear. Again, why aren't these lipsticks the biggest rave in town? I don't think I've ever used a lipstick that I had to reapply one time over the course of a day where I had a lot of talking to do, a lot of eating, I even played the flute and it stayed untouched! Sorry, all the Bourjois lipsticks, sorry all the Essence ones, but these are the best ones I've ever got my hands on. There aren't many shades in the collection, but I got in on offer for 5€ (otherwise retails for, again, 11€) and I picked up the shade that I know I don't already have. It's a very bold, hot pink, but it's not too in-your-face. It's brilliant.


The last but not least, it's the product Revlon started with, a nail varnish in 046 Valentine. It's a very thick consistency, the wand is rather small, but the colour pigmentation is bloody brilliant and the variety of colours is off the charts. It dries really quickly, and the other thing I love about it is the fact that it doesn't chip. I'm not the one to use a base coat and a top coat and all that jazz, because it just seems too much of a faff, but I definitely like it when I don't need to reapply the varnish the same day I put it on. I definitely love the consistency of these and definitely recommend them! (They usually retail for around 7€)

So, these were my favourite Revlon products. What are yours? Tell me down below and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

1 comments:

  1. I don't use a base coat or a top coat either haha xx

    http://nastyadts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena