SBC | Week 2

*If you have no clue what this is all about, here's the explanation!
*Here's the last week's update!



So, the first book that I finished this week is one that I've said in my previous SBC post and it's Across The Universe by Beth Revis.  OK, firstly, can we all just admire the gorgeous cover on this book? I totally fell for it and when I saw it in the bookshop, I didn't exactly see the title (because the lower half was covered with another book), but I immediately knew that it was this beauty.
Anyway, the book follows the story of Amy, a girl who was frozen for 300 years to make a journey to a new planet, vaguely like Earth. She, her parents and loads of other people were sent there to inhabit it, but... she's woken up 50 years before they arrive. She was almost a victim of a murder and in a way, he killed her, because there was no way that she will ever see her parents again. Now, she's lost on a massive spaceship that looks vaguely like Earth, but it's still not home. Because of her hair (it's bright red, ginger, basically) she's kind of labelled as a weirdo and she doesn't fit with the crowd (who looks exactly the same, because differences can start wars, apparently) and she is an outcast. That isn't just her main problem; there is someone on the ship that has decided to go and unplug almost every frozen person on the ship and she and Elder, their leader-in-the-making decide to find out the truth.
This book is a part of a trilogy and... I am not exactly interested in finishing it. There are just way too many complications with the travel and in my opinion, the people on the ship are a bit crazy and not all of the characters are really likeable (I mean, the main ones are, but there are just some side characters that heavily influence the plot and are just... crazy). The descriptions of some acts are really, really... detailed. Maybe that's just a personal preference, but if you like descriptions of someone getting raped, then this is the book for you.
I did like the parts where Amy described her emotions while she was being frozen, I like the fact that the story didn't evolve around Amy and Elder's relationship entirely, but that was about it. I'd give the book...3.5/5, because I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would; the plot was a tiny bit obvious and as I said, the characters are a bit annoying.
*that being said, if I see A Million Suns in the bookshops, I will probably pick it up, because I am a creature of habit.



The second book that I read (again, I was cheating a bit, cause it's a reread) is Divergent by Veronica Roth. I fancied something dystopian/fantasy that was quite an easy read, so I gave this beauty a reread whilst cycling (not on the actual road though, just on the one I have in my room), cooking and occasionally stirring my lunch and voila, I reread it! I have spoken about this book way too much, so I won't bore you anymore, because you have the full right to want to kill me, but seriously, it's such a good YA book that I think everyone needs to read. It's an accessible read, the characters are reaaaaally likeable and it's just brilliant. And you will cry. I cannot stress this enough. (also, here and here is where I've spoken about this book!) 5/5

..and I've also started Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon and Playing With The Grown-Ups by Sophie Dahl. Again, so far, so good.

I'm also away for five days from today. I'll be back on Wednesday, so I won't be posting anything, but I think I will be back on Thursday, so that's why I'm posting this SBC update today... just to clarify.

5/25 books read for SBC 2014.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena