SBC | Week 3

*if you have no idea what's going on, here's the explanation.
*here's last weeks' update.
*also, my camera broke down, so I don't have my own photos, the credits to the photos are in the caption!

Even though I've been away for the majority of the third week of my holidays, I apparently have to read a lot, so I will just get on with it, because there's a fuck-load.

Found on isabellamari.wordpress.com
The first book I finished reading was Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan and I have already told you that in my last blog post. It's about two teenagers with exactly the same name, but very different backgrounds. Will Grayson is a regular teenager, who has a gay best-friend who's producing, writing, directing and starring in his own musical and he is in love with a friend of his called Jane, whereas will grayson suffers from depression, is gay and feels like he's left out of everything and just gets everyone's way. The only beacon of hope for him is his online friend, who he hasn't met yet called Isaac. One evening, the two teens with the same name meet in the most unlikely corner of Chicago and their lives change forever.
What I liked about this book is the fact that because of different authors, the characters are really different and don't have any similar qualities and are really two different people. Even the writing style represents the difference between characters: with writing in capital letters and lower case letters, dialogues are written differently. It's a very enjoyable book and I think that it deserves a 5/5.

Found on theshortstacks.com
The second book I finished was Playing With The Grown-Ups by Sophie Dahl. I have never read anything by Sophie (only if her cookbook counts, and the recipes make freaking delicious dishes!), so I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't disappointed. It definitely met my expectations.
The story follows Kitty in her early teens, with some flashbacks to her adulthood and it primarily focuses on her relationship with her mother, Marina. Her mother is an artist, a modern-day bohemian hippy of sorts and basically, it tells us how Kitty deals with her plenty boyfriends, constant moving between New York and England, switching religions and drugs and friends and loss and other things. It's a coming-of-age novel, and it's highly enjoyable. It's a book that you get through very quickly, but I have a feeling it may not be for everyone. Loads of swearing and just general drug abuse descriptions and stuff, however very well written. I had a feeling that the book wasn't heading towards one big event, like it's a mish-mash of some random events, so that may be the only thing I didn't like about it, but apart from that... I'd give it a 4/5.

Found on thebluepurse.com
The third book (again, it's a reread) is Insurgent by Veronica Roth, which I haven't spoke about on here, which is a shocker in itself. Basically, it's the sequel to Divergent and it follows Tris's great escape to the Amity compound. In this part of the series, she truly begins to wonder what the Erudite want with the Divergent, why did they attack her old faction, who can she really trust and also, what's behind the fence? What's waiting for them? Why did the Erudite want all of that information? It's basically just the "what the fuck is happening?" question reappearing in different forms.
It's a fast-paced, action-packed, a bit scary at times and definitely one for the shippers (even the weird ones). I said before, I love Veronica Roth's writing style and I enjoyed this book, but I felt like it would have been a lot better if it would have been a bit shorter and a bit more compact (and consequentially, a lot fuller of action and even better), so I'd give it a 4.5/5.

Found on aspleasedaspunch.wordpress.com
The fourth book (ooh, that's a first fourth book!) is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, of which I have already spoken about on this blog right over here (and I'm cheating again, cause it's a reread). I love it to bits; it's one of the first books that introduced me to classical literature (besides A Room With A View) and I flippin' love it.
Basically, Nick Carraway moves to New York, to West Egg, which is a part of New York for more bohemian-like people who have just come into some money and stuff like that. Next to him is the home of the mysterious Gatsby, who everyone knows of, but nobody knows him in person. He throws glamorous parties and they're the biggest hit in town. One evening, he gets an invitation from him, which is weird. Nobody gets and invitation from him, so why did he? At that moment, their lives are turned upside down and everything changes.
When I reviewed the film and the book, I gave the book a 5/5 and that still stands, because I just love it. Every time you reread it, you just catch some new details that you missed your first time through and it's like a treasure hunt (and I love those).

...and I'm currently getting through the Top Gear Years by Jeremy Clarkson, because my dad bought the book somewhere really cheap and I'm a fan, so fuck it. Again, so far, still pissing my pants from laughter.

9/25 books read for SBC 2014.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena