Book and film review | The Fault In Our Stars

*Freaking massive spoilers down below!

Found on weheartit.com under the tag "the fault in our stars"
OK, I know I'm late. I am very fucking late to the bandwagon, but... I live in fucking Narnia of planet Earth, so let's not talk about when I'll get to watch any film. There's no way I'll ever get to see it about a week after anyone else. That just ain't gonna happen. However, it has been... two hours since I saw the film and I need to talk to someone about this freaking film and... in this case, it's this blog.

Anyway, let's get into it.

Found on maydayparaddes.tumblr.com
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old, biting it from cancer. One day, her parents decided that she was depressed for obvious reasons and she is then forced to go to a cancer support group, even though she really doesn't want to. It's there that she meets Augustus, a seventeen-year-old with 1.4 legs and no evidence of cancer. Over time, they bond together over this book called An Imperial Affliction by an author who doesn't want to deal with the book anymore and their sickness, etc. When they get a chance to go to Amsterdam to visit the author of the book, Peter Van Houten, they soon realise that the world is not a wish-granting factory.


You all probably know how much I adore this masterpiece written by John Green, but since you might not, I'll just recap. It was the first book I read in English and I haven't read many books in my mother language since (except for obligatory reads in school). It's a YA book and I've read plenty of those, but this is not a typical one. Usually, the writing isn't that good, the dialogues are quite plain, the plot isn't that original and I could go on. Yes, it's a book about a girl whose life changes when she meets a boy and then, we all know something's going to go terribly wrong, but it's... different. Their discussions and dialogues are so freaking... philosophical, Even though it talks about a horrible disease (which is cancer), it isn't a typical cancer book. You know that it's a present theme in the novel, but it doesn't take over. What really takes over is their love of a book, love of each other, wish to be remembered, death, all that stuff. They both have their limitations, but it doesn't stop them from doing what they want to do.

Found on 8tracks.com (on the TFIOS playlist by tangerinenotes)
I think that this is, by far, his best work. I have read his other books, but none of them touched me just about like that. It was different; this time, the girl took centre stage, the boy was a side character, and the writing was somehow... completely different. Hazel and Gus had this strange fascination with almost everything there was in life; with oblivion, love, hate, fear, death, cancer, anything. It kind of makes you doubt that actual sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds would say such things, but it kind of adds to the charm of it. They seem like a pair of a lot older intellectuals, trapped inside the bodies of teenagers. Some people think that it's just fake and stupid, but I love it.
I kind of liked the fact that Hazel had these deep thoughts on death and love and fear, but had no idea of these "common" things in life; drugs, sex, shopping, anything like that. To me, it was a hilarious input and I grinned quite a lot while reading the book and watching the film.

Speak of the devil, hello there. Whenever I hear that they're going to make a book into a film, a part of me is really excited and just delirious, but the other part of me is always afraid that they won't do it justice. The thought of that just terrifies me. What if it'll be bad, what if the actors won't know how to capture the feel and the spirit of the characters, what if the soundtrack would be shit and completely irrelevant and wouldn't heighten the emotion and the feeling of the film (I spoke about this subject right over here)? I am just freaking paranoid when it comes to book-to-film adaptations... but this time, it was all for nil.
In my opinion, all of the characters were captured really, really well. I won't even talk about Hazel and Augustus, because that was just... out of this world. However, I have to talk about Isaac and Van Houten and Lidewij, because they were just... amazing. I am not at all bothered by the fact that Isaac wasn't blond and that Van Houten wasn't fat and that Lidewij was supposed to be slightly older, because the characters just came to life with them. I was extremely impressed with them all and I think that the casting was done really well.
I saw a lot of people comment about the fact that Van Houten brought Gus's letters to Hazel and to be honest, I didn't mind the change. To be honest, the bit in the book where she searches for them seemed a bit... well, to be honest, boring. I liked this version better, because it showed that Van Houten still had some heart deep down, drowned in alcohol and it was just a lot swifter of a solution. The film was still really honest to the book and if they make some changes, I don't mind at all.
I won't even start on the soundtrack... You can see everything I had to say about it right over here.

Found on africaliverslipgloss.com
I managed to keep it together over the majority of the film and shed a tear every now and again, but at the end, when she reads his letters, I just lost it; that happens when I read the book and when I saw the film. It's definitely a YA  book/film that needs to be taken seriously and without all the doubts, because it's pretty freaking amazing and deserves a lot of attention. I recommend a lot of tissues and someone to cry with, because you will need them. Both of them get a 5/5 from me.


... I hope you enjoyed the return of the book-and-film-review format, because I definitely missed it a bit. If there are any suggestions you might have for reviewing, then I'd highly appreciate them, because I am always up for reading more books and watching more films. I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

P.S. If you want to experience more feels from the film, then here's a playlist I made a while back with songs that I think could be connected to Hazel and Gus's relationship. Don't kill me if you cry a lot. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena