Travelling: Dubrovnik, Croatia 2014

As I promised, here is part two of my holiday. This one is for the nerds.

For those of you who don't watch Game of Thrones, or you're just not aware of the fact, but the old city of Dubrovnik is used as a set for King's Landing and once, it was a place across the Narrow Sea and I can't remember the name, god damn it, because of the city walls and beautiful architecture. After going there, I wonder if they used it because of the heat or something (if you've read the books, then you'll know that King's Landing is supposed to be very hot and stuff like that), because I thought I was going to melt my face off and I was wearing shorts (which I never do in public) and a tank top (which, again, I never do in public). I don't recommend going there at the height of the season, but if you are going there, then the beginning of May and September are a lot more bearable.

Anyway, loads of the film sets are near the city gates, on the city walls or visible from them, so this blog post is probably just going to be about finding them and showing them to you, but also some stuff from outside the walls, so it'll be a bit more interesting for the non-GOT viewers. But don't blame me for inserting something nerdy every now and again.

Dubrovnik Croatia

Dubrovnik Croatia
These are the two peninsulas that you might mistake for King's Landing, but you're not there yet. Lovely sight, though.
Dubrovnik Croatia
Keep walking down the road from the harbour (if that's where you landed) and then, you'll sooner or later see the upper sight... the House of the Undying. Next to it are the city gates and then, you'll see the lower left sight, which is where they filmed Joffrey's peasant rebellion and then, you're in the city (lower right side).
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Hello, kitties!
Dubrovnik Croatia
The view from the walls.
Yes, please!
Dubrovnik Croatia Game Of Thrones
This is the last bit of the filming sets, visible from the walls. The left picture is the bay where the youngest Lannister daugther (I forgot the fucking name, again) goes to Dorne, I think and the upper right picture is the little pier (or whatever you want to call it) where Sansa and Little Finger spoke about leaving the capital, I think. It's been a long while since I've seen that episode, I'm very sorry. The lower right picture is just a better view of the bay.

And that is it! I hope that this helped some of you, if you're planning a trip to Dubrovnik. It's a very lovely city and definitely worth a visit, but beware the heat and bring lots of water. Also, suncream is your best friend. 
I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena