Halloween Reads!

Thank god, the autumn break has arrived, meaning I can catch up on my sleep and do blogging a bit more seriously and... enjoy the Halloween spirit (one pit stop before Christmas!). I am not the person that enjoys Halloween in the traditional spirit, so going out trick-or-treating and stuff like that; I enjoy slightly creepier stuff at that time of the year and because I cannot handle the gore of horror films, I have five Halloweeny and slightly creepy books to share with you.

*Just to clarify, these won't involve any detailed descriptions of sawing off people's heads, they just have some sort of creepy vibe around them, with some ghost stories, survival skills and magic, so I think there's something in here for everyone. 

Kate Mosse The Winter Ghosts

The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse
I remember reading this one a very long time ago, but I can still remember the story and it's still one of my all-time favourites, because it's just so good. It's 1928 and Freddie Watson is in mourning for his brother, lost in the war. He drives through the Pyrenees at the south of France and one night, his car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and he seeks refuge in this small, remote village, where there was a big village party of some sorts going on. There he meets Fabrissa and they spend the night talking about war and love and loss and all that jazz. The following morning, she's gone and nobody seems to know her and he has encountered the Winter Ghosts, revealing a 700 year old mystery.
It's a very quick read, it's quite short, the topic is quite heartbreaking, but it's amazing. All of her books seem to connect the present day with the past and this one is no exception. If you've read Labyrinth and liked it, then this one kind of tells you what else was going on after the inquisitions in the 13th century and again, modern mystery and it's creepy. Really creepy.

Meg Rosoff How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
This book has been spoken about on this blog for so many times, but I don't think it fully does it justice. It's a wartime novel, put in present day. Daisy is sent to England to live with her cousins and aunt in the middle of nowhere. For a while, everything is kind of perfect; she tries to shut down her American snobby side and just enjoy the summer, but then the world goes to war and the whole family is torn apart and they need to do everything to come back together and survive.
It's a very dark, survival novel with a hint of romance going on (if you can get over the incest), but it doesn't take centre stage, which I appreciate beyond anything else. It's probably one of the most real, raw survival novels that I have ever read and again, it's totally worth reading. It also reads very quickly, so perfect for Halloween.

Garth Nix Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix
This one is actually on my TBR list for this Halloween, because I've had the second and third part to the trilogy for a while, but I've recently bought the first one (when I say recently, I mean... in May) and I have craved to read it for a while, because everyone I know has been nagging me to read it and I will give into the temptation. I've paid fucking 12€ for it, goddamn it, I'm gonna read it.
As far as I can tell from the blurb, Sabriel is the daughter of a mage called Abhorsen. She has lived outside of the Old Kingdom ever since she was a little girl, so she could be protected from the free magic and away from the living dead. One evening, her father disappears and she goes away from the school she called home and into the Old Kingdom, facing the living dead, uncertain companions and bigger threats than she could imagine.
I will report back on this one pretty soon (might even do a Katherine reads on it) and give you my thoughts as soon as possible!

J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
I have said before in the Harry Potter tag that this isn't one of my favourite books, but for this time of year, I find it quite perfect. In this one, Harry gets to know the beginning of Lord Voldemort and how he got to know the magic of Horcruxes and all around, it's probably the creepiest book I have ever read and just getting to know his past and how he became evil is... the most incredible thing for this time of year. (I'm praising it like it's my favourite, when it's really not, but OK. I am a bit weird when it comes to books)

Found on writermummy.wordpress.com

The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
This one might break my rule of no disgusting descriptions, but you know... we all need a bit of gore in our lives. Todd is the last boy. He is about to turn thirteen (you realise he's actually 14, but no spoilers) and he lives in a world where everyone hears everyone's thoughts and one day, he finds a place where there is silence. No thoughts of animals or his dog or anyone else. And he has to run for his life.
It's a kind of post apocaliptic, survival novel, where youngsters are exposed to the cruel world where there is no mercy and it's incredibly creepy and spooky and tense. There are really vivid descriptions of the most horrific things on the planet and I have never cried more when a character died than in this book. Also, it's a trilogy, so afterwards, you get two more parts to read and the story doesn't stop here AND I HAVEN'T BOUGHT THE SECOND TWO BOOKS and I'm so pissed and I want to read it, but I'm low on money and goddamn it. I hate buying books. I really do. (I don't, really).


I hope this list has been helpful in some way and... Happy Halloween.
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena