Tag | Reading Diversely

Shut up, I need to talk about books.

These days, I admit to being guilty of not actually reading as many books from other parts of the world as I should. I mostly read American and English literature (I know, kill me), but I have met a certain collection of books from other continents on the planet and I think that these need way more recognition than they have and that's what this tag is all about. So, let's get on with it.

Africa
It's a bit of a tragedy that I have only one book from Africa and it's Songs Of Enchantment by Ben Okri, which I picked up on a very big whim (because it was on sale for 3€ and I thought why the hell not?), but I am currently going through it and I am really enjoying it. I think it's set in Nigeria and it's about a boy called Azaro, who is a spirit child and the whole story is a bit of a mystery/fantasy novel and also, it's the sequel. A bit of an odd place to start, but I shall see if I will purchase the first part.

Found on babcockbooks.com
Australia
No, I will not shut the hell up about The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's the most gorgeous and wonderful book I have ever read on the topic of the second world war and how not all Germans were bad people and how in general not all people are bad (even though they might seem to be like that) and just... read it. It's wonderful. Also, loads of books and feels (seriously, never has this book failed to make me cry and I have read it about a million times over).
Also, I had no idea that Sabriel by Garth Nix is Australian, so I thought I'd include that as well. I am still getting through it, but I think I will read it sometime soon (just as I get through Crime and Punishment... that'll be fun).




Asia
This will be a very Indian themed section of the tag. The first book that I have read that's set in Asia is Q & A by Vikas Swarup, which you might know better by its film version called Slumdog Millionaire. The story follows Ram Mohammad Thomas, who is a young waiter, a firm believer in faith and believes in three different religions (I will let you guess which ones by his name). One day, he competes in the quiz show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, he is accused of cheating and then he tells his lawyer the story of how he knew all the answers from his really though life on this planet. It's a very easy read, strangely enough, because it discusses really difficult topics and how multicultural India actually is and I loved it. Definitely recommend it.
The book on my TBR pile is definitely A Passage To India by E.M. Forster. You know how much I adore A Room With A View and I want to see if I like this as well and I really want to see the cultural clash between the East and the West in the early 20th century.
Joining it on the TBR pile is also Life of Pi by Yann Martel and if you haven't seen the film, then all you need to know is that Pi's parents own a giant zoo somewhere in India, I think, and one day, they decide to move overseas and take all their animals with them, but the ship doesn't quite make it and it sinks, but Pi survives in a lifeboat... with a massive tiger.

Found on theepochtimes.com
Found on penguin.com.au

Found on betweenthelines.in
Europe
For this section, I have picked a really highly underrated French YA novel and it's No and Me by Delphine De Vigan and I am a very big fan of this book. A thirteen-year-old girl living in Paris is assigned to do a presentation at school and she picks the homeless as her topic and so she befriends No, a twenty-something girl, living on the streets and it talks about their friendship evolving and going through ups and downs. A very enjoyable read and I definitely recommend it!

Found on goodreads.com
North America
I don't even need to mention The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, because that thing is just a stunner and a beauty in itself, because it's just so American and gorgeous in every meaning of the word. A shoutout must go to Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (and I got the most beautiful cover on the planet, so I kind of win), The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and of course, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, for you YA lovers out there.

South America
Now, this is the part where I get really ashamed, because this section is basically only one book on my TBR lists. Because South American literature is not really popular in Slovenia, I have never really bothered to look into it and now that I have, I feel like I want to read everything there is to read and it's ridiculous (there goes all my money). I want to read Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, because my sister recommended it to me, but holy fuck, I don't have the time, so sometime in the future when I am not at school, forced to do ridiculous mathematics that I will never use in my entire life.

Found on penguin.com.au
And that is it for the Reading Diversely tag. If you have any favourite books that don't get as much recognition as they should from any part of the world, then you can let me know in the comments and make me spend even more of my money. I shall see you tomorrow with a very exciting blog post!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena