Beauty trials #1 | Bourjois and Essence

I have purchased quite a few products in the past few weeks that I've been giving a good old trial and since there are not so many and I can't make each of them into a singular review, I thought I would start a new series on my blog called "Beauty trials", where I put some products under the spotlight and tell you what I think of them. So, here we go.



I have found myself in desperate need of a new mascara that does volumizes, separates and lengthens the lashes, so I headed down to the drugstore and I picked up the Bourjois Twist Up The Volume Waterproof Mascara. I remember when this launched, there was the biggest cloud of excitement around it, but nobody really spoke of it since then. If you have no idea, then here's the scoop; black mascara, plastic applicator, you twist up a little knob on the wand and the wand either shortens into a big fat volumizing brush or into a lengthening one, costs around 11€.
It claims to give really big, fluttery, volumised lashes, and it does do that, just not so extremely as it was advertised. The lengthening brush on this bad boy, however, is freaking fantastic. The formula of this mascara is wonderful; it sticks on the lashes, it doesn't disappear through the day, it doesn't clump or budge, it holds the curl and after sweating a bit, there's no black print on the crease of your eyelid, so I would definitely recommend it! 4/5



One red lipstick just won't cut it, will it? I have bought myself the Essence Longlasting Lipstick in Dare To Wear. I have already bought one out of this series called Coral Calling (which I posted about here), but I have failed to get on with that lipstick in the summer, because of my horrendous tan and it is just too light for my liking. Anyway, here's all you need to know: longlasting, around 12 shades in the collection, matte finish, costs around 2.5€.
I have been pairing this lipstick with the S-he Lipliner in 04 (please note, they do not look like a great colour match on camera, because mine is shit, but in real life, they match up pretty good) which isn't the greatest of lipliners, if you're planning to wear them on their own, but because of their consistency, they help the lipstick stick on longer and I can easily define my cupid's bow with it. I have already said that the formula of these is great; I've managed to drink a coffee and eat a full lunch in this lipstick and it was still intact. It needs minimal topping up during the day and the shades are great. However, if you're wearing it for more than seven or eight hours, it starts to get a bit dry on the lips (but there's nothing a good old top up of lip balm can't solve). Overall, brilliant consistency, great staying power, feels weightless. Would recommend. 5/5



Another product that I've been absolutely loving is the Essence Eyeshadow Quattro in To Die For. (I have been thinking about it for a while and this bad boy might be a very good dupe for the Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow palette thing in Dolce Vita, missing the red-toned brown, but I am not too sure, because I have never seen that thing in real life.) Here's the scoop: four shades, one highlighter, one crease definer, one outer V shade and one lid colour, two of them are matte and two of them are shimmery, claim to be really blendable and creamy.
These shades have, by far, the best pigmentation and colour payoff out of any of the drugstore eyeshadows I've tried. They blend like a dream and even though there are only four shades, you can do so many looks with them and they stay on for ever (with the help of a primer, of course) and I haven't experienced any fallout with them, which is always nice. Definitely would recommend. 5/5.



I have mentioned the Essence Thermo Nail Polish in The Heat Is On in one of my previous hauls, but I have never quite finished the tale of this ridiculously expensive nail polish. Basically, here's the scoop: red nail polish, changes colour with your skin temperature and claims to be really long lasting.
Well... no, it isn't. The formula of the usual Essence nail varnishes is freaking fantastic and I love it, but this one is a complete disaster. The brush doesn't apply the varnish evenly and doesn't stay where you've put it. During the drying process it dissolves and moves to the cuticles and it's impossible to get it done in one coat. If you want a great colour payoff, then you have to do like twenty thin coats and I'm not that patient, so I wouldn't bother. The colour changes and that's really cool, but the consistency is a piece of crap and I definitely wouldn't recommend. 2/5



And the last, but certainly not least, it's the Bourjois Express Eye Makeup Remover. It's one of those makeup removers that has two formulas that you have to mix together; one water-based and one oil-based. There have been many of them and I have never been a fan of them, but this one has been of history.
Basically, it removes everything with one swipe; waterproof mascara, eyeliner, really bold lipsticks, really bold eyeshadows, the whole shabang. It leaves the skin feeling nicely nourished and refreshed and I love it. The only downside to it is the price: 7€ for a 250ml bottle which runs out incredibly quickly, but still, if you love these two-formula-makeup-remover thing that's going on, try this one and you'll love it. 5/5

And that is it for the first Beauty Trials. Let me know if you've tried any of these products and what do you think about them and if you agree or not. I shall see you tomorrow with a new post in the Christmas blogging thing that's going on!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena