Review | MAC Russian Red



Whoa, what the hell's happening, two beauty reviews in the course of two weeks? There's a thing as too much beauty from Katherine's side and this is in every meaning of the word, pushing the boundaries.

Me and my family have gone to Salzburg for a few days last week and of course, me and my sister being complete beauty addicts, we have searched the whole web to see what beauty brands can we get hold of and where can we do so. Expecting very little... we got a whole bunch. We drooled over the Benefit counter (had to stop myself from snapping up... a lot of stuff) , the Jo Malone stand, Kiehl's surprisingly large offer, a bigger selection of all the high-end brands that we have in Slovenia and in the end... some MAC happened. While my sister purchased their Studio Fix Fluid, I went straight in for the lipstick and of course, I was battling between Plumful (a gorgeous sheer plummy shade), Creme In Your Coffee (my perfect everyday kind-of shade) and this. Since I've been embracing the full-on bold lip, I'm pretty happy to say that Russian Red won.

Here are the basics
  • Bold, classic, old-school red
  • Matte finish
  • 3g of product
  • Slight scent of vanilla
  • 16$/20€
  • Claims to offer moisture and colour for the lips
Oh my, where do I start with this beauty?

Straight off to the packaging; all MAC lipsticks have this beautiful matte packaging with a bit of glitter thrown in there for good measure with the beautiful silver writing on it. There is no colour indicator, which might be a bit annoying for people with more of their lipsticks, but because I've only got the one... I don't see it as a big of a problem. Quite honestly, it's a very sexy thing and it sits nicely on my vanity and it looks amazingly gorgeous in anyone's collection.



Then, the colour. It's this really beautiful, classical, old-school Hollywood red. I tend to wear a lot of lipsticks with pink undertones and whilst this one definitely has some pink in it, it's also a bit on the darker, more bricky-side. While this description probably has confused you beyond belief, I'll put it very simply; it's the perfect red, pigmented to perfection. This, paired with a bit of shimmer on the eyes or eyeliner with a crap-load of mascara, a sexy, vintage-inspired up-do and a black dress will probably make you feel like you're ready to conquer the world. It's that good. 

The thing that separates this lipstick from my Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon in Red Island and the Essence Longlasting Lipstick in Dare To Wear is definitely the finish. Both of those lipsticks claim to be more on the matte side, but if we're completely honest, they're not matte. When you apply them, they have a bit of shimmer and gloss to them (that wears off after a cup of coffee or two, when you, you know, EAT THEM!), whereas this one is just full on matte from the very beginning. It feels very, very light on the lips and it provides a hell of a lot colour on the lips. Some people find these lipsticks a tad drying, but I haven't had that problem with them, personally. In comparison to some of the other bold lipsticks, this is by far, the least dry formula I have tried. 

As for the lasting power; if I wear this lipstick on its own (without a lipliner, that is), I may need to reapply it a few times during the day, but paired with a lipliner (mine of choice is the S-he Lipliner in 04, which I wear with all of my bold lipsticks), it lasts all day and I really don't need to worry about it at all. 

One huge plus for MAC with this shade is this; no yellow teeth. All of my other lipsticks can make my teeth have this disgusting yellow tint to them (I mind that, but I still wear red lipsticks, because I'm in the company of classmates who probably smoke a pack of cigarettes per day, I don't particularly bother with it). This beauty, however, makes them appear much more whiter. I have no idea why, but they do and I'm really happy because of it. 

Rest of the makeup: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in Vanille, Revlon ColourStay Concealer in Light, Bourjois Rouge Edition Lipstick in Brun Boheme (applied on the cheeks like a blush), Essence Eyebrow Deisgner in Brown + Clear Mascara, Maybelline Colour Tattoo in On and On Bronze, Essence Eyeshadow Quad in To Die For + White Kohl Kajal Pencil (on the waterline), Bourjois Twist Up The Volume Waterproof Mascara
All in all, super opaque application with one swipe, super matte finish (without the drying feeling on top), really longlasting if paired with a lipliner, beautiful colour that works with so many different skin tones, really lightweight... I don't know if I can praise it any further, so I believe it's obvious that it gets a 5/5 from me. 

What are your thoughts on this beauty? Let me know and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena