Music | New Discoveries pt. 4

Found on praguepost.com
Zaz
I have a feeling that this series should be renamed to "Katherine realises that bands and artists she's heard of before (but hasn't actually bothered to listen to them) are really goddamn good". I have heard Zaz's music before because my sister's gone to one of her shows and absolutely loved her and yesterday, I found myself in a deep need of some studying music, so naturally, I went to listen to music I haven't heard before. Anyway, long story short, Zaz is a French singer/songwriter that mixes a range of genres (including a bit of jazz, acoustic, indie, all the good stuff), sings exclusively in French and obtains fans purely because of her wonderful voice and music. Everything feels just so goddamn French, like walking on the streets of Paris in the rain and the songs are so incredibly composed and even though you and French class weren't good friends, you can still enjoy them. Seriously, just... look her up. You won't regret it.


Tessa Violet
Nope, haven't been living under a rock, I just never bothered to look her up properly. Yes, I'm an idiot. Anyway, those of you who are a bit more interested in YouTube than the next person, then you've probably at least once heard of Tessa, who's an American vlogger/musician, who published a full-length album last March. Her music is the most peculiar thing I've ever heard, because it combines her really lovely soft and gentle voice with wonderful lyrics that anyone can relate to (about love and other feelings and society and friends etc.) with music that sounds like Imagine Dragons, Panic! At The Disco and early-stage Arctic Monkeys had a love child. This wonderful girl would be the love child.

Found on last.fm
Ella Henderson
I'm on a bit of a roll here with female artists this time round. Anyway, I solemnly promise that I was never the one to really fall in love with talent shows, such as The X Factor/*insert-country's-name*'s Got Talent/The Voice (OK, maybe I'm lying with the last one). However, even I can't deny that sometimes, just sometimes, there might be actual talents coming out of that show. There is something about Ella's voice that at first just made me go: "Well, it's unusual, but meh," and then you keep on hearing the same song over and over again and then, let's face it, it's your jam and the whole discography has been saved onto your Spotify playlist. There is something about her music; I wouldn't necessarily call it pop or mainstream (although it is), but there are elements of some electronic, some pop, some rock, basically, the whole hog. Either you've got a really simple song with purely vocals and piano or a bang-on pop song. Basically, there's something for everyone. And who'd have guessed it, she worked with Ryan Tedder. Basically, a hit machine.

Found on mtv.com
Sara Bareilles
Surprisingly, this is another one of my I've-already-heard-of-them-but-I-forgot-about-them aritist. Unless you've been living under a rock since 2007, you've probably heard of many of Sara's works, such as Love Song and Brave, to name a few. Her style is very mixed, but it's mostly a helluva lot of piano, with some jazz thrown in there for good measure, with quite frankly adorable and heart-warming lyrics. For a little while, she was my guilty pleasure, but fuck it, I love her. Her voice is so dreamy and I absolutely adore it. If you haven't heard of her, then I recommend giving Love Song, Bottle It Up, Cassiopeia and I Chose You a go for more of a pop-ish vibe and Manhattan and Little Black Dress for more of a jazz-ish vibe. You're welcome.


Vance Joy
There's a theme with new and really popular songs all over the internet. When I saw everyone talking about Riptide, I was completely determined not to give in and listen to it, because frankly, I'd just get disappointed (just like Hozier's Take Me To Church; frankly, nothing that special). Somehow, when all the rave kind of sank in, I gave in and listened to it.... and, for a change, I love it. Basically, just a lot of folky-ukulele-y goodness. Give it a go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena